The Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd (LCGS) was founded on love for Jesus
and a desire to share that love with the local community and the world. As West
Torrance homes were being built and families moved into those homes, the
American Lutheran Church (ALC) sent Mission Pastor Gerald Garlid on January
23,1957, to meet the newcomers and work with them to start a neighborhood
Our first meeting together was March 24, 1957, a joyous day of celebration as together they thanked God for their developing community and sought His guidance as to how they might support and welcome their new neighbors. This first meeting was at Anza Elementary School. By September 3, 1957 LCGS was sharing facilities with Anza Avenue Baptist Church, and in March 1958 plans began to build their own Worship Center, which was dedicated March 15, 1959.
Over the years buildings have been expanded, new buildings added, and eventually the original ones replaced. Addressing community need, The Good Shepherd Preschool was established in 1969. The original ALC church merged to become the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in 1988; then in 2010 LCGS found alliance with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC).
Throughout the growth and changes, our core values have remained the same: we love Jesus and we have a passion to share that love with all people. Together we strive to uphold Biblical teachings and respond as Jesus’ arms and feet to a world in need.